Friday, July 11, 2008

At Last!

At last, two weeks into my time in Ghana, I have finally been ignited. I have found a purpose, a path, a cause. I am bubbling with excitement, determination, and inspiration. All of this occurred in response to a meeting Thursday afternoon at the Police Hospital not far from The Palace with a woman named Florence Okra. Though she works at the hospital in the HIV-testing department, her true work and interest has been single-handedly launching an NGO in Ghana called Eve's Foundation in 2000 (please visit her site: www.evesfoundation.org). I happened upon her name and the foundation in my pre-departure search for women's health, specifically maternal health, resources in Accra. My interest in participating in this field was inspired by my recent completion of an official doula training course. Upon my return to the States, I will begin working as a freelance doula - defined as a woman who provides "emotional support, encouragement, and wisdom throughout labor and birth" (more information on this brilliant concept at www.dona.org).

Unfortunately, I discovered yesterday that Eve's Foundation is in a dire state at present, with a total lack of resources, financial or otherwise. But she is an impassioned visionary, and I see much of her in myself. I believe we both are coming from a similar place in our driving desire to guide women towards self-empowerment through knowledge of and trust in their bodies, specifically through pregnancy, birth, and motherhood. Tears welled and spilled down her cheeks as she described how "my heart bleeds" for the women of Ghana, who she compares to "blind people - they don't know anything about themselves and their pregnancy". She has devoted herself to spreading the message that “you know more than the doctor, it is your body!”, for “in the hands of the doctors, women no longer trust themselves to give birth." This is a devastating reality not only in Ghana but in the States (though here it is maternal and infant mortality at stake, which is not so in the US, though we have other dire issues to be concerned about). She has given her all, sacrificed her time and money, and I can only hope to one day be as accomplished as she is, while retaining such vigor for the cause she has dedicated herself to wholly...I am in awe. I too came near to tears, listening to her recount not only the “huge ignorance about health issues in this part of the world”. But her relentless commitment was what fired up my own investment.

I hope to focus my main project in the journalism program on the state of maternal health in Ghana, in addition to working on an entirely independent level with Florence (far after my time here ends) and her foundation. I have, as does she, so much to say about this issue...but I'll save it for my article, and future writing. I do hope everyone reading this will educate themselves about it by visiting the sites, asking me questions, and continuing to check for updates on my work. It is crucial, for everyone on this planet.

So much good is going to come from this connection, I just know it. I feel it stirring in my toes to the tips of my fingers...

Stay tuned...

No comments: